Today would have been Grandma Helen’s birthday. I miss Grandma Helen every day and know she was celebrating in heaven with all of her friends and family. My grandma was very religious and spiritual. I know Grandma Helen believed with her heart that she would see my mom, her parents, and other relatives and friends in heaven. This gives me comfort. It’s hard to believe that grandma died 2 years ago. My friend’s husband unexpectedly died last weekend and I have been trying to support her this week. Life can change in an instant and I will always remember what we discussed in my Death and Dying Sociology class- you can’t live life and think about living without facing death and thinking about dying. Fall often makes me happy with memories and at the same time sad that my mom is gone. My mom loved Halloween, she and her twin sister’s birthday is in November and Mom died in November. I cannot believe she has been gone 10 years but I know she is with me in little ways every day.
This week was generally busy and felt a little hectic. I tend to make myself busy when I am stressed (kind of a vicious circle). Tuesday night I unpacked and relaxed. Wednesday night I did the Suicide Awareness Walk (a 5k!). My friends and I walked. Last night my friend and I did the Wine Walk in downtown Devils Lake. It was his birthday. We had a blast! It took us 2 hours to go to the 17 stops 🙂 that’s a lot of wine and food! (not part of my diet…:) )
So, now to my diet/exercise part of the post.
- steak and egg breakfast burrito
- sweet potato quinoa soup (I made this in the slowcooker on Wednesday and it was good! good! good!)
- chicken pizza
- one can of diet pepsi
- one pumpkin patch beer 🙂 love it!
Exercise: mowed the yard! it desperately needed it! Devils Lake got a lot of rain while I was in WY.
I was pretty productive today for how tired I was after not getting much sleep last night (I was at the bar until 12:30 celebrating Adam’s birthday with him…oops!) I had Jeb come over and help me put my blinds up during my lunch break. I mowed the yard. I cleaned the kitchen. I picked up the living room and dining room. I talked to my friend on the phone. And now I’m writing my blog post!
Here is the recipe for the Sweet Potato Chicken Quinoa Crock Pot Soup:
- one can black beans (rinsed)
- one can petite diced tomatoes (not rinsed)
- one cup uncooked quinoa
- 5 cups chicken broth (it was very thick soup and I would add more than 5 cups of broth if my slow cooker was bigger)
- 1 chicken breast (the recipe said to use 1 and 1/2 pounds of chicken breast but I just threw in the one chicken breast I had. It was not enough chicken but it worked for me)
- two cups cubed sweet potato (I just used two sweet potatoes and called it good)
- 3 Tbsp. chili seasoning (I found a recipe for homemade chili seasoning so I wouldn’t have to use a packet- chili powder, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander and probably some other stuff I can’t think of right now. 3 Tbsp was an arbitrary amount that was perfect for my taste buds).
Put all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low heat during the day (or at least until the potatoes are soft and the chicken is cooked. My slow cooker meals always cook from 7:45-4:30 or 5 PM). Shred the chicken breast and stir into the soup. Enjoy! Simple and healthy and good!